Getting Back to Business - Fleece Washing

The farm yard has been crazy!  The Shave 'Em to Save 'Em program has kept this Grandma super busy!  I am not complaining.  It is a heart warming feeling to see all of the beautiful yarn being created by some amazingly talented spinners.  Now, I am busy collecting some photos to share here.  These spinners creations deserve to be shared, and I will in the up coming weeks.  Not gonna lie to all of you... I took a few weeks hiatus from creating more clean and processed fiber, since I knew I would be taking an extended holiday weekend after the 4th.  Today is W day.... The day marked and assigned for washing fleece.  It has to be done and the temperature is so lovely for July.  Maybe tomorrow, I will do a little thrift shopping.  My other favorite passion! ;)  But today, today is dedicated to fleece and the cleaning of... Let the washing of the fleece begin!

Confession:  I can be a lazy washer and not presoak the fiber in cold water.   Honestly, this skipped step is not really a problem with most fleeces.  With my son's sweaty little Shetlands, it is a step that really could make that first scour more effective... Okay, and less stinky too!!  Soooo...  I HAD to go to the thrift store Friday and purchase a ginormous tote dirt cheap. (okay, and some other treasures too!)  The low price was reflective of a missing lid which is NOT necessary for being a soaking tub.  No more brown stinky sweat in my first scour any more!!  This is Sadi going for a soak.  She has the most lovely earthy (to the brown side of the spectrum) off white fleece with a touch of brown hairs. 




Hubby took the time to point out the yard cart would do this job equally as well AND would allow me the convenience of hauling the water away to easily be dumped out.  Grrrrr.  I am sure this solution made him happy since we had an arguement   spirited conversation regarding the purchase of said yard cart, and how it does not see much use.  Drat!  I tried to casually use the excuse of not wanting to fill it with water causing unnecessary rusting of the bolts holding it together.  His reply was, "It sits outside all of the time in the weather.  It has seen water before."  Double drat!  Between you and me (Looking around the room for the all clear...)  It was a super good idea.  I knew there was a reason I married this guy!  lol 

Sam is going for the maiden soak in the lawn cart.  Thank the heavens we bought the large cart!  Sam can be an odd little guy.  Last year he had a lot more white in his fleece...  Shetlands are odd in the fact that their true color is revealed in the wash, and it changes from year to year!


I am off to do some scouring inside while binge watching Midsommer Murders and maybe a little Crazy Lamp Lady..  The lifting from scouring small batches of fleece will do me some good as this time of year is the Tour de France, and I will always celebrate it by competing in my own Tour de Fleece.  My challenge is to spin for 45 minutes a day at least.  I have been lazy lately, so I am feeling the stiffness in my body a little.  ;)

Comments