For the Love of Wool

How blessed am I to have my favorite spinning fiber readily available?  Not gonna lie... I am thankful Shetland has always been my easiest fiber to spin.  Which is why my husband rolls his eyes when he sees me purchase Shetland at wool shows.  But every once in a while, there is that particular fleece that just calls to you. And those shepherds' flocks, like ours, need to be appreciated at the wheel as well.  No fiber snobs at this residence.  I know too well the work put into maintaining a flock and try to help support the community should that special fleece appear. :)  All my spinning friends our out there are nodding their heads in agreement!  lol



Although there are other breeds competing at a close second for my spinning attention, Shetland with all of its versatility continues to keep me happy.  How many breeds can give such a smorgasbord of spinning delight?  The fine, medium, and durable/extra durable fiber all residing on the same fleece helps me to produce yarn for all my knitting needs.  Yes, I am a knitter!  Have been since I was 12 years old.  :)  The yarn I produce works and wears well for being the basis in the mittens, hats, and socks that help to deplete my ever-growing fleece and yarn stash.  Although my spinning hasn't been as extensive in regard to fine fleeced breeds, I look forward to giving some of our newest members from Ramsay's Traditional 1927 flock a spin. 

My posting on this forum has been mainly about sharing our animals and products with the internet.  Along with expanding the stories of our flock and reviews from our wonderful customers, I have decided to use this site to also chronicle my wool processing tips, spinning adventures in Shetland and other breeds, equipment reviews, and sharing the farms and Shepherds whom I have met and purchased from along the way.  It is imperative that our community takes the time to promote those members striving to keep these wonderful woollie breeds healthy and prospering.  By bringing wool back into popularity, all small farms will benefit along with the wonderful people who will spin, knit, crochet, and felt glorious fiber art creations.  

Warm Woolly Wishes,

Brenda  


Comments